Friday, December 01, 2006

Fussy little Mason........

Hi everyone! I once again have time to give a quick update. Mason, for the most part is doing well. He's a bit fussy, and always hungry. My biggest problem with him, is he'll fall asleep in my arms, or Dave's arms, but as soon as you put him in his bassinet or crib, he wakes up. I amnot quite sure how to fix that one! Last night he slept quite well, and was up only 2 times. I am still very frustrated with how breastfeeding is going. He is doing a bit better, but sometimes he seems to be suckling, but I don't hear him swallowing, so I am not sure if he's getting anything, and this worries me. At least though he doesn't fight it so much anymore. I have had the public health nurses helping me with this. But jeez, it's so frustrating, and I feel like such a failure! My mom in law thinks I should give up on it, but for some reason, I just can't. To me, this is important. I am getting a bit tired of getting unwanted advice. I try to take it with a grain of salt, but sometimes it's hard. It's really frustrating when Mason cries and won't stop. He was so quiet at the hospital, and at home he's fussy! (he must be taking after me...I was like that as a baby) But, one thing will never change: I love my son more than anything in the world! He's beautiful! I wouldn't give him up for all the money in the world! I know in time I'll learn to deal with his fussiness. Plus, I have a lot of support, from Dave, my mom in law, and even community support. I am confused as to one thing. 50% of people say to let him 'cry it out' when he cries. Some people say 'go to him fairly quickly', this way he learns to trust, etc. So which is it? Well, gotta run for now.

1 comment:

Lisanne said...

Sharla, here's my two cents [for what it's worth, LOL!]. :) Newborns just want to be close to us ... to our warmth ... they're way too young to just "let them cry." That's their way of communicating. Have you heard of the Dunsten method? That babies have five words that they say? He probably has a lot of gas [Meredith does, too]. Do you use Mylicon drops? Anyway, most newborns are always quiet at the hospital because they're not quite "awake," but then after a while they interact more with the world and look around. It just takes them a while to "wake up," hehe :) Don't give up on nursing!!! GOOD LUCK!